Saturday, August 13, 2011

Buzz Bee Hunter Mod guide

The Buzz Bee Hunter in stock form performance wise, is not great. It gets 20- 25 foot ranges and can only use the stock Buzz Bee darts. Here is my method of modding this blaster (If you want to read my review of this blaster, the link is here):
Disassemble the blaster. Unscrew all of the screws, and the shell should come apart fairly easily. Note: flip the blaster over after unscrewing, because the internals are all in the side where the screws are.
Internals:
Close up:
Once you have opened the blaster casing, take out the Plunger/bolt assembly.
It should look like this:
Take out the two screws holding the plunger rod onto the bolt, and slide off the black ring with the tubing attached:

Look inside of the bolt where the darts are chambered. Inside, there is an air restrictor. Get a pair of needle nose pliers, grip the end of the dart post, and twist until it comes out:
Now you will see the main air restrictor:
Drill out the rest of it. The air restrictor, it's spring, and the rest of the dart post should fall out:
Now, you will need to cut a piece of 1/2" CPVC about 2 centimeters long:


Dremel it out so the darts can slide in easier, and make the edge very thin, so that the CPVC does not affect the chambering of the darts:
Here is what it should look like, and a comparison of the CPVC I have dremeled out (right), and a piece that hasn't (left):
Now, hot glue it inside of the bolt like so:
Now re- assemble the blaster. You may choose to remove the dart tooth (I have chosen not to), (without the dart tooth, you will have to manually load the dart into the barrel, but it is probably necessary to remove if you are adding a barrel extension)
Here is the dart tooth:
Here is my test fire data: (shots are angled to ground)
Stock Buzz Bee Hunter:
Stock Buzz Bee darts (only darts compatible with blaster): 20-25 ft
 Modified Buzz Bee Hunter:
Stock Buzz Bee darts: 40-45 ft
Nerf Suction, whistler, and Tagger darts: 40-45 ft
Nerf Streamline darts:45- 55 ft
I basically doubled the range and made it capable of shooting any kind of dart, but besides these mods, there isn't much more modding potential for this blaster (maybe spring replacement and teflon tape under the O ring?). Since there is a tube between the plunger and the bolt, there is a lot of deadspace which drastically affects the range that this blaster can achieve. Overall, I am happy with the ranges this achieves after what I would consider to be fairly easy mods.
--
Update: I recently made some stefans, (my first batch that actually works :P) and my modified buzz be hunter will achieve much better range and accuracy.

Also, if you like my blog, please tell others. I want to get and keep this blog going strong! And if you have any comments and/ or suggestions, please email me at reidsk8r@gmail.com! I'm also thinking of changing this blog's name, so please leave suggestions!


 












3 comments:

  1. this is a very good mod, and one of the few on the web. WHERE do you get you cpvc, because I got some at ace and it was way to small

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get mine at Lowe's. Always bring a dart with you because some of them are too tight.

    ReplyDelete